April 30, 2010

Summer Solstice Party

Oh my! The summer solstice party is a growing. I sat down with an initial list and had about 150 people on the list. Now, I’ve had parties this big in the past and although I’ve enjoyed them, I just didn’t know if I wanted this party to be one of those. So, I got it down to about 60 people and was feeling very pretty good until I started running into people and realized I’d forgotten a BUNCH of folks. So then I went back to the drawing board and we’re up to around 174 and I need to pare down AGAIN!



So, today I’m going to talk about whom do you cut and who do you leave on your invitation list! If I were to put it out there to all the people I know casually, professionally, family, and friends the numbers could hit astronomical numbers. But I can’t afford to have a party for that many people – at least not until my daughter gets married. So, where do you begin when you’ve got too many names and not enough dough?


First I write down all my dearest of friends. The ones who I enjoy being around and can’t live without. In all honesty – this number is only around 15. Then you add the friends you don’t see very often, but when you do see them you remember how much you enjoy them. Then you add in the friends that are a little more on the fringe, not because you don’t like them, but because life, work, things get in the way. Forget about all the “shoulds” you know, the ones who you work with, are in organizations together and are friends of friends. This is your party and it should reflect the kind of energy you want. So, with all of that – I’m at around 75. Good number. Not everyone will attend, but I bet I have around 50 who are there. And that’s a nice size party for my backyard and my budget.


Next week – I get to budget for my 50 friends I think will attend and I’ll talk invitations and themes.

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment