October 25, 2010

Outdoor dinner parties

Oh Fall – you’re so beautiful, I just can’t get mad – even though I hate to see my summer go. I had such a fun summer – full of great work, celebrations and my favorite thing of all………. Outdoor dinner parties!!!!



If you read this blog, then you are aware that I threw a wonderful Summer Solstice party – if memory serves, I think my last blog was before that party!!!! EEEEK! The annual Summer Solstice party was a lot of fun, full of great food, great weather, great friends – oh and a forest fire! I’ll never forget getting phone calls from people wondering how they could get to our place for the party with the roads closed. See, I was on the possible evacuation list and the police were not allowing people to get into our neighborhood through the usual manner. However, those who were really dedicated came by and we partied until midnight. I will never forget all of us standing there watching the huge clouds of smoke, while a tanker dropped its load of fire retardant and all of us in unison chanting pull up, pull up, pull up! The plane flew right over the house and while I’m sure he wasn’t close, the entire house and ground shook as the plane started to gain altitude. I think I may have even ducked.


I love dinner parties. I threw a birthday party for my daughter (and business partner), and again, we had a lovely evening outside with appetizers, steak, crab and her favorite cake – chocolate ganache! Many bottles of wine were consumed that night and I have to say it is so much fun when you can have three generations of family and friends gathered around to celebrate. I am truly blessed to have such great evenings in my life.


My last dinner party of the summer was for my husband’s birthday. We invited friends we’ve known since college (for him it’s been since Jr. High), and spent a wonderful evening outside laughing and reminiscing. I’m married to a man who has a very simple palate and since we’d produced a golf tournament the day before I won’t complain. I served a grilled tri tip, with green salad from the garden, a pasta salad, grilled potatoes and his favorite chocolate cake – devils food.


I’ve put the yard to bed, so it will be a few months before I can once again throw an outdoor dinner party, but I’ll keep everyone posted on all the holiday party plans!


Debbi

No comments:

Post a Comment