October 24, 2011

Flagstaff Oktoberfest

“Oktoberfest war ein Hit!”

In case you don’t speak or read German… the title means Oktoberfest was a hit! I really hope that you all got to experience such a fun day, but in case you didn’t here is what you have to look forward to…
 Last year was my first experience with Flagstaff Oktoberfest and I was stationed at the Volunteer Check-in. I think sitting on the sidelines like that really benefited me for running in this year because then I was able to take in all the areas of the event and see, from an attendee’s perspective, what worked and what didn’t.

This year was whole different ballgame. I was off the sidelines and on the field! I really got a taste of what it is to put on citywide event in Flagstaff. Just as any event does, you have to start with the cold-calls and sponsors. I have done this in Scottsdale before and well, lets just say that Flagstaff people are a lot “friendlier” when it comes to asking for sponsors and donations! It was nice to get to talk with community businesses and promote Oktoberfest along the way. It was also really fun doing the city walk and getting to figure out which ways we could save money and planning the layout, and flow, of the event.

Some plenty of phone calls and emails later came the day of the event. All of our planning and strategizing was ready to be put into action! Since I couldn’t sleep (literally felt like Christmas morning) I arrived at the event site at 7am. From there it was set up, directing vendors in, keeping people out and overall making sure things were running smoothly. Jen, Debbi and I all sort of have a way of keeping each other on some sane-normal level. (Something that is very important with your event staff team!) The whole event was a blast, from set up to take down. It was great seeing so any of my NAU peers there and having a blast with their beer games! I hope that next year there are even more NAU students there and an even bigger attendance!
There were vendors, awesome food (that kept you craving all day even if you were full), delicious beer (so I heard), great music to bop to and a lot of fun games, prizes and people watching! If you like a lot of fun on a beautiful Saturday then this is the event to clear your calendar for! Hope to see you next year at Oktoberfest!
Belle

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is good information Event Staff. it's giving the nice information about Event Staff. I like it, your blog. If you want more info please visit:Event Staff

    ReplyDelete